You will need to complete an Application Form. The form asks you to imagine all the things that a refugee family will need help with in order to settle into your community successfully, then write down how you will achieve those things and assigning the tasks to the member of the group most capable of carrying them out. Some of the areas your plan will need to cover include:
- What you will do on the day of arrival and in the first week
- Who will be doing interpreting (you will need people attached to your group throughout the 12-month sponsorship period who speak both English and Arabic)
- Who can help the refugees to sign on with doctor, a dentist, register the children for school, etc
- Who will be helping with benefit assessments, access to training or find a job
- Who will lead on budgeting and record keeping
A dedicated team at Home Office will review your application, and hold a meeting with you, to ensure that you have everything you need in place. They are not trying to "catch you out" - they just want to ensure that you are fully prepared, and these meetings can be very helpful.
See Submit an Application