addarrow-downarrow-leftarrow-rightarrow-up82CF3E98-D323-4B3E-9EDD-EF2E73FB5C9E@1xcancelcircularclockClose IcondowndownloademailIcons / Social / FacebookfilterhomeIcons / Social / InstagramleftIcons / Social / LinkedIn895A4639-EEE0-4BEB-B7D1-CAB21217861B@1xMenu Iconremoverightsearchtagtik-toktranslateIcons / Social / TwitterupIcons / Social / YouTube

Link with your Local Authority


Home Office Guidance for Local Authorities


Contact us if you experience difficulties in getting LA consent: [email protected] . We have successfully supported groups to win over sceptical councils and can help to advocate for your group.

We can also share an example of a LA letter of consent upon request.

As part of your application, you will need to get consent from your Local Authority (LA). If the family will live in a different local authority to your own, it is the LA where the family will be living that must provide consent . It is easy to understand why - they will be providing many services, such as schools, healthcare and safeguarding. In the very unlikely event that your sponsorship breaks down, they will have the responsibility to step in.

The Local Authority should:

  • Provide a letter of consent
  • Attend a Pre-Approval Visit with your group and the Home Office
  • Confirm that the accommodation you are providing is suitable (the Home Office will provide a form for this purpose)
  • Put you in contact with their Safeguarding team

Your council will be taking on a big risk by giving consent – so be sure to demonstrate that you are a strong, committed, experienced group, that fully understands the responsibility you are taking on. If you experience difficulties in getting LA consent, contact us, and we can help to advocate on your behalf.