What You Can Do
Sponsor A Refugee Family
Would you like to join our movement of over 140 community groups, and support a refugee family to resettle in your neighbourhood? If so, take a look at our
Join Your Local Community Sponsorship Group
We encourage you to start your own community sponsorship group - every new group that forms will mean another family is brought to safety and security. But if you feel that you don't have capacity to start your own group, there are many groups across the UK that would be delighted to receive support from a willing volunteer!
Take a look at our Community Sponsorship Map to find your local group.
If you find a group in your area, contact [email protected] , and we can connect you.
Are you a Landlord?
One of the greatest challenges for Community Sponsorship groups is to find a property. By offering your property, you will be directly responsible for changing the lives of a refugee family - without a house, they will not be able to resettle here in the UK.
As a landlord you could benefit from the following:
- Guaranteed rental income for at least two years, with a registered charity as guarantor
- Free cosmetic improvements to the house (you can benefits from teams of willing volunteers to paint, garden, and put up shelves, etc.)
- A support network for the family, to help them manage finances and house maintenance
- The knowledge that you are changing the lives of a vulnerable refugee family
To meet the requirements of the Home Office...
It needs to be a home with its own front door. It cannot be an offer of rooms in your own home. If that’s what you are able to do we suggest you contact either NACCOM or REFUGEE HOME
- The home must be in a good condition with all the usual amenities
- It needs to be available at an affordable rent, ideally within the LHA limit so that housing benefit can cover all or most of the rent.
- The home needs to be available on a secure lease for a minimum of two years
If you can help to provide a home to a refugee family given the above, please Register as A Landlord Here.
We will see if there is a group looking to sponsor refugees in your area and if so, put you in touch with them.
If you would like, we can put you in touch with landlords who have rented through the scheme. Contact [email protected]
Read a blog from a landlord here
Make a Donation
As a campaigning organisation, Sponsor Refugees does not accept money from the government. We rely wholly on philanthropic donations to continue our work.
Your donations help us to start community sponsorship groups across the country, support groups throughout the sponsorship process, and to lobby government on key improvements to this scheme. Ultimately, your donation will make sure that more refugees are resettled and receive a warm welcome here the UK.